BMW 320i unintended acceleration and brake failure



Yesterday, November 11, 2018, at around 2:45 PM, I entered a parking garage in Miami Beach to park my BMW 320i. I proceeded to the 3rd level, where there was a suitable space. I fully stopped the car, as I always do. No sudden moves. I do not do sudden moves. Then, as I proceeded to gently accelerate the car, it accelerated out of control, and as I slammed the brake pedal, it would not work. The car only stopped through the timely intervention of a concrete wall.

This is, of course, the simplest of car operations, messed up by a clear software glitch.
I am writing this post for several reasons, not the least of which is establishing a public record of the incident, for I do not know where this will take me.

Second, a word of advice. Even when you are parking a modern car, starting from zero, you have to be extra careful. So, always have your hand on the emergency hand brake. I had not enough time to think of this, and honestly, historically BMWs are supposed to be among the top 3,  5 safest cars. I could have avoided the damage to the car’s front end, had I used the hand brake. But the question would still remain, “could this happen again?”.

Thank God, this did not happen at a busy street, and I did not hit a pedestrian, animal or other people’s property. Also, it did not happen at speed in a highway, where the benefit of hand brake assistance would be totally useless, in fact, it might have caused a worse accident than hitting a car in front.

A forethought: I have been around computers and computerized devices for thirty years. Enough to know that computers and computerized devices are anything but flawless. Yes, technology has expanded to amazing levels, but flaws are still all over, and very frequent. This incident was obviously caused by a software flaw. A recent “The Economist” article says that BMWs are “basically mobile computers”, something the company is obviously proud of. This, however, was not an isolated incident, according to a quick internet search. It is not a BMW specific flaw, either. This also leads me to a scary thought, the possibility of all or most vehicles in the USA being self-driven, and guided through congested GPS. Given the current stage of computer meddling in driving, in the simplest car operation, I believe that the self-driven car is OK for a Jetsons episode, but we do live in a real world, not a cartoon.

Hope this is the first and last time I will suffer this type of incident.  

Comentários

Postagens mais visitadas deste blog

O taxista de São Paulo, e muito disse não disse

RESULTADOS DE CORRIDAS BRASILEIRAS REMOVIDOS DO BLOG

DO CÉU AO INFERNO EM DUAS SEMANAS - A STOCK-CAR EM 1979